Old Currango

Currango's History


European settlement of the Currango area commenced in 1834 when the first cattle were taken to the area.  Currango, itself, started in 1851, when Thomas O’Rourke built a small vertical slab home and other structures.  The property changed hands several times between 1873 and 1893, and was finally bought by Arthur Triggs, who constructed the present homestead and nearby sheds.

Triggs’ ownership finished in 1913, and ownership passed to the Australian Estates Company.  The next eighteen-year period, the ‘second phase’ and hey-day of Currango’s existence, saw development of a significant beef cattle property.

At its peak, in the mid 1920s, the property grew to 90,000 acres, and employed up to twenty men, with additional contract staff over summer, worked at the station. It's pastures were used primarily for drought relief.

Following the Great Depression, the emphasis moved from cattle to sheep.  The pine trees, which still dominate the site, date back to this period.  Fishing parties also began to stay in the area, both at Currango and at the Rules Point Hotel.

In 1944, the Kosciusko State Park was created, and the high plains and their properties were annexed by the NSW Department of Lands.

The ‘third phase’ of Currango began in 1946 when Tom and Mollie Taylor moved there.  Tom was a Ranger for the NSW Department of Lands, and monitored stock numbers on the high plains, overseeing a gradual reduction of grazing, until its cessation in 1969.

Tom and Mollie were granted life-time occupancy rights by the National Parks and Wildlife Service after its formation in 1967, and the lease arrangement also allowed them to rent out the cottages to visitors.  Some of these people would later form the club that became Friends of Currango.

From 1995 to 2003, the tradition of high plains hospitality begun at Currango by Tom and Mollie was subsequently continued by their son, Ted, and daughter-in-law, Helen.  Since 2003, Stuart and Chan Garner have continued the tradition as caretakers and hosts.

For a more detailed account of Currango's history, click here.